Friday 18 January 2013

Photographing the first Stone Circle

After a lot of reading and soul searching, I have decided that the Archaeological subject of my PhD will be Stone Circles (and a few related monuments)

Unfortunately there are no stone circles anywhere near London, so I took advantage of a Christmas spent with my family in Scotland to capture a circle just a few miles down the road from the place where I grew up. In fact it is one of two rather impressive circles, but it only stopped raining long enough to capture the smaller one, The Loupin Stanes. This translates as the 'Leaping Stones'

The Loupin Stanes looking very bleak on our first visit. It was too wet to take many pictures so we returned a couple of days later.


This time we had about an hour free of rain. Everyone else took measurements  for me to scale the pointcloud while I shot the photos (2000!)


The other stone circle, the Girdle Stanes. This picture gives an idea of how wet it was on our first visit.


Pointcloud and Meshes to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment